“Leadership develops daily, not in a day.” – John Maxwell
“It takes 20 years to become an overnight success.” – Eddie Cantor
The secret of our success is found in our daily agenda. If you continually invest in your leadership development you will mature and grow into a leader. Your time, your energy and your money always goes towards what is important to you. Discover what your priorities are and you will find where your time, energy and money are going. Priorities, passion, abilities, relationships, attitude, personal disciplines, vision and influence. See what a person is doing every day, day after day, and you’ll know who that person is and what he or she is becoming.
If you want to be a successful leader, then you need to understand the importance of GROWTH in all areas of your life and business. Some are under the impression that there are born leaders and there are those who have developed into leaders. All leaders are born. Think about that statement. I have not once met a leader that was not born. ANYONE can learn to be a leader. It is not an event…it is a PROCESS.
EVENT (A Conference or Book) PROCESS (Time and Growth)
Encourages Decisions Encourages Development
Motivates People Matures People
Challenges People Changes People
Calendar issue Culture issue
Growth does not “just happen” any more than climbing a mountain “just happens”. You don’t just wander up a mountain and surprise yourself when you reach the top. True growth is the result of hard work!
But that’s not enough…when you take seed, soil, sun-shine, and water and put them together, you don’t get a plant overnight. It also takes time. If you truly want to grow and develop, don’t expect it to happen by tomorrow. Give it some time, and consider the process.
The following things MUST happen in order for growth to occur:
- Labor – Someone has to work. No explanation needed, right?
- Stretching – In order to get more out of yourself, you must always be stretching and striving for more. Don’t take shortcuts and expect massive change.
- Learning – Knowledge MUST be consumed.
- Phase 1 – I don’t know what I don’t know.
- Phase 2 – I know what I need to know.
- Phase 3 – I know what I don’t know.
- Phase 4 – I know and grow and it starts to show.
- Phase 5 – I simply go because of what I know. Growth will not solidify until you practice and apply what you know.
- Focus & Accountability– You cannot drift or get distracted. Growth accelerates when someone watches.
- Building on the past and put in the time – Growth always uses past truth. Use your experiences to better yourself.
Growth is NOT an event… It is a PROCESS.
The relationship between growth and leadership: It’s the capacity to develop and improve one’s skills that distinguishes leaders from their followers. Successful leaders are learners. And the learning process is ongoing, a result of self-discipline and perseverance.
H5H Action Step:
- One small change each day compounds and makes you more effective in the future. What is the one small change you will make today in your daily agenda?
Lead The Way!
Anyone can be a leader, but do not expect leadership to be learned overnight – you cannot ignore the Law of Process. Take positive action daily and you will find that what you can accomplish is remarkable!