“To add growth, lead followers – to multiply, lead leaders.” – John Maxwell
Leaders who develop followers grow their organization only one person at a time. But leaders who develop leaders multiply their growth because for every leader they develop, they also receive all of that leader’s followers. Add ten followers and you have ten people. Add ten leaders to your organization and you have the power of ten leaders times all the followers and leaders they influence. That’s the difference between addition and multiplication. It’s like growing your organization by teams instead of by individuals. The better the leaders you develop, the greater the quality and quantity of followers. Becoming a leader who develops leaders requires an entirely different focus and attitude. Consider some of the differences:
|Leaders Who Develop Followers||Leaders Who Develop Leaders|
|Need to be needed||Want to be succeeded|
|Focus on weaknesses||Focus on strengths|
|Hoard power||Give power away|
|Spend time with others||Invest time in others|
|Grow by addition||Grow by multiplication|
I don’t know where you are in your journey of leadership development. You may be working on your leadership growth, or you may already be a highly developed leader. No matter where you are, I know one thing: You will go to the highest level only if you begin developing leaders instead of followers. Leaders who develop leaders experience an incredible multiplication effect in their organizations that can be achieved in no other way. That’s the incredible power of the Law of Explosive Growth.
TRUTHS ABOUT THE LAW OF EXPLOSIVE GROWTH…
• It’s not about addition but about multiplication. It begins slowly but eventually explodes.
• It’s not about doing things right, but about doing the right things. It’s being strategic.
- It’s not about drawing fulfillment from running a restaurant or a successful shift but from empowering leaders to do whatever it takes.
• It’s not about prioritizing your schedule but about scheduling your priorities.
• It’s not about doing programs, but developing people. People are your only true asset.
H5H Action Step:
Determine where you are in the leadership development process.
- Stage 1: Developing yourself
- Stage 2: Developing your team
- Stage 3: Developing Leaders
Now identify the steps you need to take to get started and move to the next level. There is no wrong place to be in this process, the important thing is to move forward…to grow. H5H, as an organization, cannot see explosive growth unless our leaders are committed to developing leaders.
Lead The Way!