Results matter. It doesn’t really matter how you get them, as long as it is not illegal, immoral or unethical.
Your present actions do not depend on your past actions. There is absolutely no connection. Your actions can be anything you want them to be. Don’t make the mistake of thinking “I’ll do better next time.” After all, you don’t really want to do it better. You want to do it differently. Determine what caused the unwanted result and change it.
It makes sense that you would want to learn from your past failures. But first, you must realize that it was not really a failure, it was a result. Some combination of your actions successfully caused the result, undesirable as it may have been. So, in reality, you were successful. You were effective. You achieved something. What you need to do now is achieve something different. You’ve already proven that you’re effective at getting results. Now it is just a matter of getting the specific results you seek.
Just staying busy is not the point. Just passing time is not enough, unless you’re getting results. The bigger difference you can make, the better your results. Success depends on results. Not on your intentions. Not on your wishes. Not on how hard you “try”. Results are what count. Think in terms of results.
Make sure that the end result is the goal of every action you take. What will be the result? Prioritize your efforts based on the results they will accomplish. Evaluate your actions based on their effectiveness. What are you doing to make a difference today? What could you be doing that would be even more effective? Go for the results, focus on the results, work for the results, and you’ll get them.
Look at your work, your life, your family. Are you getting the results you want? If not, then it is time to adjust your actions. There’s no point in continuing to do anything that doesn’t get you where you want to be. Decide what results you want, and then adjust your actions to get them.
“You can have the results you want, or you can have all the reasons in the world why you can’t have them. But you can’t have both. Reasons or results: you get to choose.” – Pancakeism
H5H ACTION STEPS:
- Leadership is Influence: If you improve your influence, you amplify your impact (results). Influence includes your ability to get other people to follow. While you can always make things happen without other people on board, this creates resistance. Resistance wears you down. On the other hand, when you know how to influence effectively, and this includes one on one as well as influencing a team, you set yourself up for success.
- Mindset and Motivation: Mindset plus behavior shapes your actions and your results. Your mindset has a lot to do with how you’ll pace yourself, how you’ll gauge your progress, how you’ll work through resistance, how much you’ll enjoy the work, and how much energy you’ll bring to the table. Motivation includes the drivers and the whys behind your actions. Your motivation will give you the extra energy to produce amazing results. It’s the “WHY” behind your actions that will either lift you or suppress you. The key to effective results is having a compelling “WHY”. A compelling “WHY” will also help pick you back up when you get knocked down.
- Change Happens: The only constant is change. Life’s not static. You’re not static. Your situation is not static. By anticipating change, and expecting it, you can treat change as an opportunity.
- Actions speak louder than words: All talk, no action? Too many people talk about how well they did in their last job, what their responsibilities were but fail to “dig in” where they are now. Let your results stand out from the crowd to be recognized.
- Results build momentum: First, let’s look at what happens when you don’t get results. When you don’t get results, you start to doubt yourself. Worse, you start to feel drained because it feels like your efforts aren’t working. Next, other people start to doubt you, and it’s a downward spiral. Now, let’s look at what happens when you produce results. It feels good. Results, even just small wins, build your confidence. Momentum builds. Like a snowball that grows larger as it rolls, one success builds on another. Another effect is that getting results in one area tends to lead to results in another.
We have now reviewed four of the five values of H5H. Has anything changed in the way you operate your business? Have you shared these values with team members?
If nothing changes, nothing changes…….
Lead The Way!