“Winners and Champions focus on the revenue generating side of the business.”
So we come to the fifth value of the H5H star….. “Sell More” – “If you’re not out selling, you’re being outsold” – Bill Coban
We state everyday that we are in the “people business”, looking for great Sales People. We don’t hire servers or order takers, we hire and employ Sales People at H5H….. Is that what you are doing? Are you interviewing to hire Sales People or are we still simply filling spots on our schedules? Are we surrounding ourselves with people who can “Sell More“?
Like-able people is the key to our fifth value. People who can BE NICE, people who aren’t afraid to have conversations with our guests. People who treat their sections like their homes, welcoming all who come to visit. People who aren’t afraid to ask or recommend. People who are confident in their abilities to lead the guest through the H5H experience. Is that who is on our team? Is that who we surround ourselves with? People who have the ability to “Sell More“?
Sales and the ability to increase them over last year is the crux of our business. It’s what we strive for on a daily basis at H5H, to be the best, to beat the goal from last year. Hiring and cultivating an environment of team members that strive for that same goal is the only way to “Sell More”. Do you claim that this is what we do & is it evident in the culture of our restaurant? Can you visibly see Sales People on your floor being nice? Can you see them speaking with confidence and truly showing hospitality? Notice in this message we aren’t discussing selling the highest priced appetizer or the most expensive beer. The “Sell More” value is a feel, it’s a way of life that we as leaders must advocate to our teams. Teaching our sales people to be “Master Askers” and promoting that environment. This process is not a checklist so put away your clipboards and pens. This process is a “feel”. It is a true value in who we are and what we do. If we focus on this value, we will simply start to see it from your team. Like any other teaching, this takes consistency from all managers to “walk the walk” and “talk the talk”. The reward will be to stand on the floor and observe your entire team become true sales people and have the ability to “Sell More” to all of their guests…..
H5H ACTION STEPS (teach our servers/bartenders how to “SELL MORE”):
- BE NICE: The first detail to master is the way you present yourself to the world. Over 80 percent of a person’s perception of you comes from the interpretation of body language. Smiling is the best way to make a good first impression with your guest as well as creating an atmosphere at the table that will provide a good experience throughout their meal. Tell our servers and bartenders to remember, most of the time their tip depends on the guest’s perception of them and how they treat them, so serve them with a smile & Be Nice!
- POSTURE: Let’s face it, if a person just wanted to eat food or drink beer, they could find it much cheaper at the local grocery store than what most restaurants are charging. The reason people are willing to pay so much for their meal is mainly for the experience while dining out. With this in mind, no one wants to see their server walk over to the table looking slouched over like they’re depressed. This can ruin a guest’s experience. Hold your head up, straighten your back. Along with smiling, a good display of your posture and walking with purpose, rather than hanging out in the server station, will help sell more.
- MAKE EYE CONTACT:This is a short and simple tip. Guests do not want to talk to someone who looks like their focus is on other things. Use yourself as an example. When you are talking to someone, what kind of perception will you have of that person if they never look at you? The guests are usually going to interpret this kind of behavior as someone who is not interested in meeting their dining needs.
- BE KNOWLEDGEABLE:Guests need us to help them figure out what they want. In order to keep up with this challenge, it is imperative to know what you are talking about and understand the menu. Study the menu, know the most popular appetizers, know the new craft beers on tap (Stone Balloon), know the order of heat in the sauces (BWW) and know the ingredients of the drinks at the bar.
- MAKE A PERSONAL CONNECTION: Something that guests love more than anything is to come into an establishment where they are familiar with the staff and vice versa. Every guest is a potential regular. What that means is that every person who comes through those doors and sits at a table to eat has the potential to come back again, and possibly ask for the same server again. It is up to our servers and bartenders whether or not a guest will return. This means learn their name, learn what kind of food they like to eat, and find out a little about who they are without being too intrusive. If we learn who a person is, and show them that we are interested in more than just their money, they will respond positively.
It really comes down to selling yourself. The best way to sell yourself is to be yourself, without pretense, with sincerity and enthusiasm. Selling more is more than being able to wish, plan, talk, convince, promise and persuade. Selling more is to take action and lead our teams to feel confident to lead our guests through the experience and make them feel glad that they chose one of the H5H family of restaurants for their dining experience……
What’s your Story?